HNW Resource Center Serves Vital Public Service
The Hospice Resource Center is a free lending library with books and other materials for adults, teens, and children. Resource topics include caring for family members during illness, coping with specific diseases, end of life concerns, grief and loss, and inspiration for challenging times.
Linked to the Burlington Public Library, this collection is easy to search from the comfort of your home, or browse in person. The check out and return process is simple, and there is always Hospice staff available to assist you.
John Greene, volunteer coordinator of the resource center, appreciates the “wealth of information for people who are struggling with some of life’s most difficult issues.” He urges anyone in the community who is coping with a life-limiting diagnosis, grief, or loss to take advantage of the resource center. John wants the public to know that sometimes “reading about how someone else has survived the same circumstances or similar feelings, can help you feel connected again. And perhaps you feel some hope that you too will get through a very difficult time.”
The Hospice Resource Center is open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and is located in the Hospice of the Northwest office at 227 Freeway Dr. Suite A, Mount Vernon. A member of the hospice team will be available to answer any questions you may have as you look through the materials. For information call Hospice of the Northwest at (360) 814-5550 or the HNW Foundation at (360) 416-5702.
Hospice Resource Center at a glance:
- We currently have 1370 items in our resource library
- Browse the catalog online – visit www.hospicenw.org and click on the “Resources” tab
- Books can be checked out by staff, volunteers, and library patrons (community members, patients, families, etc.)
- Checkout process is easy:
- 1. complete a library card (bright green card) for your first trip
- 2. write your name on the card in the book you want and hand it to the front desk receptionist.
- The book drop is inside the front doors and available at any time the office is open.