How to Pay for Hospice Care
Hospice of the Northwest is a Medicare-certified, Washington State-approved hospice. This means two things:
- We are fully accredited by an objective third party and held to a nationally held quality standard.
- Because we are a Medicare-certified Hospice, our services are paid through Medicare, Medicaid, and/or most private insurers.
When patients use a Medicare-certified hospice, the financial burdens often associated with caring for a terminally ill patient are lifted. Hospice is paid for through the Medicare Hospice Benefit, Medicaid Hospice Benefit, and most private insurers.
These Hospice Benefits cover nearly all aspects of hospice care with little out-of-pocket expense to the patient or family. Bringing in a Medicare-certified hospice brings great relief to families during one of life’s most difficult times.
Hospice care also offers support to the loved ones of the patient, bringing an added level of relief for the patient, knowing their loved ones are being cared for as well.
Additionally, Hospice of the Northwest is supported by a network of donors, funding programs, and services through the Hospice of the Northwest Foundation. If a person does not have coverage through Medicare, Medicaid, or a private insurance company, Hospice of the Northwest will work with the person and their family to ensure needed services are provided through the Foundation. No patient has ever been turned away from Hospice of the Northwest due to an inability to pay for hospice services.
Medicare covers these hospice services and pays nearly all of their costs:
- Doctor services
- Nursing care
- Medical equipment (like wheelchairs or walkers)
- Medical supplies (like bandages and catheters)
- Drugs for symptom control and pain relief
- Short-term care in the hospital, including respite and inpatient for pain and symptom management
- Home health aide and homemaker services
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Social work services
- Dietary counseling
- Grief support
Medicare will still pay for covered benefits for any health problems that aren’t related to a terminal illness.
Hospice of the Northwest uses a team-oriented approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support expressly tailored to the patient’s needs and wishes. Families making end-of-life decisions for a loved one need compassion and support, not financial worries. Support from a Medicare-certified hospice helps alleviate these concerns.
To learn more, contact our Referral Department at 360-814-5550.