March 2021 – Patients with dementia and their families benefit from specialized end-of-life support
Hospice care provides:
– Goal setting with families
– Teaching on what to expect with the decline
– Medication simplification
– Techniques and medication to help comfort and restlessness
– Support for families in counseling, life review, and memory-making
– Home visits from the hospice team: nursing, healthcare aides, social work, spiritual care, massage, music therapists, and volunteers as needed.
– Grief support
Dementia patients are typically eligible for hospice care when they are dependent in ADLs, no longer walking or communicating effectively, and have some weight loss.
Please call us if you have questions about patient eligibility.